Sometimes, during the peak of summer, I feel as though my attention is wandering. With that in mind, here's a little collection of links and book news that might strike your fancy, all with minimal attention required.
- You knew I was on a Jane Austen kick, but here's a video for anyone reluctant to enjoy 19th century Brit-Lit. Please to enjoy Jane Austen's Fight Club.
- Jezebel's 10 Not-Trashy (But Totally Entertaining) Beach Reads are amazing--I have, in fact, read many of these on a beach chair, including A.S. Byatt's Possession and Nabokov's Lolita. Sadie Stein is kind of my kindred.
- Congrats to Deborah Johnson, author of The Air Between Us, which just won the Mississippi Library Association's Best Novel Prize.
- Found this on Galleycat today: Jeff Buckley meets Romeo and Juliet. If this musical includes Buckley's rendition of "Lilac Wine," I will swoon straightaway.
- Mad Men is back, and my inner Joan Holloway is rejoicing! If your hunger for pop culture criticism hasn't been sated, do yourself a favor and check out Mad Men Unbuttoned and the accompanying piece in The New Yorker.
- I went on a poetry binge the other day and re-read "Courage" by Anne Sexton. If you're having a rough time, or know someone who is, read this and/or forward it along.
- Lastly, ever since seeing him in Henry IV (and in French Kiss), I've nursed a wicked crush on Kevin Kline. (This blog is a safe space, so save your judgments for Twitter). Anyway, this trailer for The Extra Man reminded me he's still got it.